"Puppy Proof Your Home"
and
other useful advice


Check this out!
"PET PLAN INSURANCE"

*      Puppies are naturally inquisitive and retrievers love to taste and chew everything.  These two characteristics can lead to serious injury  or the tragic loss of a family pet.  The following tips are provided in the hope that many accidents and their unpleasant consequences can be avoided.

 
Electrical Shock:  A few months ago my three month old Toller puppy was playing on the livingroom floor while I dosed on the coach in front of the TV.  I was jolted fully awake when my puppy gave a yelp and appeared to be flung into the center of the room from the end of the coach where I lay.  When I investigated the area where the puppy was playing, I found that she had chewed the power cord of the table lamp through to the bare wire.  When she was thrown or jumped into the center of the room, the wire which was still in her mouth was pulled out of the wall socket, effectively stopping the flow of electricity throughout her body.  I am convinced that if the puppy had not inadvertently pulled the power cord out of the wall, she would not have survived the electrical shock.

Animal Poison Control Centre

New Toll-free Poison Control Number :  (888) 4ANI-HELP or (888) 426-4435

The ASPCA has a new poison control hotline phone number for pets. If you
have reason to suspect that your pet may have been exposed to
something toxic, either internally or externally, this phone number will
connect you with an ASPCA veterinarian specially trained to assist pet
owners or other vets.

This is the only dedicated animal poison control hotline in the world manned
by veterinarians,  not telephone operators. The number is
staffed 24/7.

(888) 4ANI-HELP or (888) 426-4435

Chocolate can be deadly to pets.  It contains theobromine, a powerful stimulant that is toxic to pets.  Sweets, cookies and cake can also upset a puppy's G.I. tract and lead to diarrhea, vomiting and more serious consequences.

Treats can be a threat to your puppy.  Never give your puppy cooked turkey, chicken or rib bones as a treat.  These bones can splinter and cause serious injury or death.  Never feed your puppy candy or any type of nuts, as they may cause an upset to your puppy's G.I. tract or cause your puppy to have a seizure.

House plants can be killers.  Poisonous plants include lilies, philodendron, dieffenbachia, elephant ear, eucalyptus, spider plants, azalea, ivy, amaryllis, pyracantha, oleander, boxwood, Jerusalem Cherry and plant bulbs.

I pulled a foot long blade of aloe verra plant out of my ten month old male puppy's anus.  The plant was not even chewed.  He had swallowed it whole.  Fortunately that plant is not poisonous.

Plants in our yards are also poisonous.  Here are a few of the several hundred plants in our environment that are poisonous and a threat to your puppy:

Angel Trumpet (all of the plant)
Hyacinth (bulb)
Azela (all)
Iris (all)
Bittersweet (leaves, fruit)
Jersalem Cherry (leaves, & unripe fruit)
Buckhorn(all)
Caladium (all)
Lily of the Valley (all)
Caster Bean (all)
Mistletoe (all)
Chinese Lantern (all)                                    Mushrooms (all of certain types)
Chrysanthemum (all)                                    Narcissus (all)
Creeping Charlie (all)                                   Nightshade (all)
Daffodil (all)
Oleander (all)
Delphinium (all)
Peony (roots)
English Ivy (all)                                            Philodendron (all)
Foxglove (leaf, seeds)
Potato (sprouts, vines, unripe tubers)
Gladiola(bulb)
Holly (all)                                                     Rhododendron (all)
Horse Cheatnut (flower, sprout and seeds)     Rhubarb (roots, leaves)
Trumpet Lily (all)
Vinca Vine (all)

In 1999 my four month old female Toller puppy ran under a spruce tree at the edge of my lawn.  By five o'clock the next day, she was dead.  I found several small brown mushrooms under the spruce tree.  Spruce trees and oak trees have symbiotic relationships with poisonous mushrooms.  It is a good idea to do a daily search of the areas of your property where your puppy will travel.

I know of a puppy that was chewing on a Rhododendron bush that was later diagnosed with Addison's Disease.
 

If you or your neighbor treat your lawns with chemicals, keep kids and pets away.  Read and follow directions carefully.  Pets will walk across these lawns, lick their feet and be poisoned.  They get Cancer!

The following items are common household killersALL Cleaning agents, bleach, ammonia, disinfectants, drain cleaner, oven cleaner, paint, gasoline, rat poison.  These items should be kept under lock and key.  Don't be fooled by a picture of a dog on a cleaning product.  Just because it has a picture of a pet on the product does not make it safe!!!

Antifreeze is deadly to pets.  Pets are attracted to the odor and sweet taste of antifreeze.  It should be kept tightly sealed and stored high.  Wipe up any spills carefully.  Window-washing solution also contains antifreeze.

Be careful with personal care items and medications.  Cosmetics, shampoos, skin creams, hair perm solutions, dipilatories, suntan lotions, sleeping pills, antihistamines, aspirin and acetaminophen can all be lethal to your puppy.

Check your puppy's collar often.  Puppies grow rapidly.  Collars and harnesses can be outgrown before you notice and cause serious harm.

Plastic bags left about can suffocate a puppy.  Plastics also contain many toxins.

I know of a Toller puppy that went into severe seizures after chewing on a piece of PVC pipe.  The puppy had chewed up both ends of the pipe and likely ingested pieces of the pipe.  When PVC pipe is burned, arsenic gas is produced.

Hot items can burn your puppy.  Watch out for hot irons, coffee pots, space heaters, stoves and fireplaces.

Puppies can drown in swimming pools and hot tubs.  In 1995 my eight week old Toller puppy fell into my swimming pool and drowned while I was searching the yard for her.

Christmas trees can kill your puppy.  Puppies have bitten and swallowed tree lights decorations and tinsel.

Anything that will fit in your puppy's mouth is dangerous to your puppy.  They will chew and swallow anything. ie; wash cloths, towels dirty socks and underwear, clean clothes of all kinds.  One of a Toller's favorite things to chew is anything left in a waste basket.

Do not allow your puppy to use a shoe or slipper or other such object as a chew toy.  These items contain glue which is toxic.  The materials may also be toxic to your puppy as it chews on them.

The best thing you can do for your puppy is to watch it the same way that you would watch a human baby.  When taking your puppy for walks in parks or in wooded areas, you should always have it on a leash so that you can immediately pull it off of anything it may decide to eat such as dead animals, poisonous plants, or its own or another animals feces.  ( I treat any plant that my puppy picks up or starts to chew as poisonous. )



TOLLER HISTORY (English) (French)  / A Showcase of Littleriver Puppies ~ “Your Pictures” /Free Brochure

  " CKC BISS Ch LITTLERIVER’S DELHAVEN DANCER" / “AKC BISS Ch LITTLERIVER’S DECOY DANCER”/

 LINKS / “ Ch LITTLERIVER’s ARGUS” / “Ch LITTLERIVER’S ULTIMATE CHOICE”

 EXPLORE NOVA SCOTIA / ARTICLES / TOLLER BOOKS / TOLLER CLUBS / TOLLER LIST / NSDTR PEDIGREES

CKC STANDARD/ CKC SHOWS & TRIALS / WC RULES / HUNT TEST RULES / TOLLER COIN / DeSKUNK YOUR DOG
PUPPY INFORMATION / PET PLAN INSURANCE / HIPS & EYES CERTIFICATION / OUR TOLLERS IN THE NEWS
LITTLERIVER FEMALES / THE "LOVE" OF TOLLERS / ”LITTLERIVER’S DANCING DECOY”

( Return to the home page. )